Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Baked Oatmeal..but Still SICK!!

I think I've been sick for the entire month a March..and the last part of February.  It is not something I'm used to.  I rarely get sick and when I do, I'm back to normal after a few days.  This year has not been good to me as far as my immune goes.

That being said, I'm still making healthy choices in the kitchen for myself and my daughter.  I'm down a couple of pounds too.  I weighed in this morning at 149lbs! YEAH!

One big choice I made this week was baking oatmeal instead of cupcakes.  I'll post the recipe below but first let me tell you a little about them.  I enjoy Oatmeal.  Always have.  However, I do know quite a bit of people who don't like it...AT ALL!  The texture is a little weird, I admit.  Baked oatmeal is a little different.  I made individual oatmeal cups instead of a large casserole dish of it.  They've come in very handy in the mornings when I'm running late and can't have breakfast before work.  They freeze well and take less than one minute to reheat!

The best part....NO SUGAR! Well, no refined sugar.  There is applesauce and stevia in it.  Making them individual sized means that you can personalize them to different tastes in your home.  I highly suggest making them even if you aren't a fan of oatmeal.  You might find this an easier way to get some oatmeal in your diet! Hope you enjoy it as much as I do!!



Baked Oatmeal Recipe from Sugar Free Mom
Ingredients
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 cups applesauce, unsweetened
  • 5 cups, Old Fashioned rolled oats
  • 1 banana, mashed
  • 2 3/4 cups milk (I used Soymilk)
  • 1/4 cup flaxseed meal
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons stevia powder
  • 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
  • 3 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • Optional toppings: raisins, walnuts, chocolate chips
Directions
  1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Mix eggs, vanilla, applesauce, banana and Stevia together in a bowl.
  3. Add in oats, salt, baking powder, flax and cinnamon and mix well with wet ingredients.
  4. Finally pour in milk and combine.
  5. Spray a 12 and 6 capacity muffin tin with cooking spray or use cupcake liners.
    Pour mixture evenly into muffin tin cups.
  6. If using toppings add them onto the tops of muffins now. If using fresh or frozen fruit, drop it right into the batter.
  7. Bake 30 minutes until a toothpick in center comes out clean. Cool and enjoy or freeze them in gallon freezer bags.
This recipe comes from www.sugarfreemom.com

No comments:

Post a Comment